Office Pest To Watch For
Office pests cause enough trouble when an employee finds a mouse scurrying through the break room. If a visitor sees a roach, you might have just lost a big sale.
Commercial buildings are very attractive to fall pests because they offer hiding places with warmth for the winter ahead. If your building has a restaurant on the ground floor — or the neighboring businesses don’t take care of their garbage — be ready to call for commercial pest control.
Be on the lookout this fall for these pests especially:
- Rodents. Mice and rats make employees squirm and scare away customers. Pest control can seal off the entry points, control the population, and make recommendations to make the office less attractive to rodents.
- Cockroaches. Roaches usually come inside through plumbing and stay near wet areas, but they scavenge for food. Ask employees to keep the break room clean, and call for pest control to exterminate.
- Stink bugs. These bugs can damage your office and inventory by leaving waste that stains. If you swat them, they emit a terrible odor.
- Bed bugs. Don’t think offices are immune to bed bugs. They are most active in summer and fall. Call for bed bug extermination if you see one anywhere in the office!
Keep away the fall pests, and you’re less likely to have a winter infestation. Call Stern Environmental for office pest control in the New York City and New Jersey areas.
Termites From Cockroaches?
Two of the most hated insects on the planet likely share a common origin, according to the National University of Singapore’s sciences department. Researchers believe the voracious termite evolved from the highly prolific and resilient coach roach about 170 million years ago. This means termites were around long before the dinosaurs and are likely to continue thriving for many years ahead. What does this all mean to you?
They are getting tougher and smarter
Cockroaches have learned to avoid sweet-tasting traps. The termites and coach roaches know you do not want them in your home. Roaches are highly evasive and typically on move about at night. If you see them during the day, it is probably due to overcrowding, and the problems is bigger than you realize. Termites are active year-round. They eat non-stop and virtually unnoticed. They move from the ground to the wood of your home in areas you don’t go or look. These little pest and their disease-carrying ancestors can cause serious illness in your home and thousands of dollars in repair cost.
Trust the experts
While you spend very little of your time thinking about them, cockroaches and termites are constantly striving for survival of themselves and their eggs. Over-the-counter insecticides never fully get rid of them. For a thorough eradication and to keep all manner of pests from coming back, trust the pest control experts at Stern Environmental Group.
Health Consequences of Untreated Cockroach Populations are Real.
In NYC, cockroach control is often a part of daily life. But there’s more to this need than simply reducing their creepy crawly presence. Cockroaches are bad for your health.
What health risks to cockroaches present?
- Disease causing germs.
Roaches can cause gastrointestinal illness from carrying E. coli, Salmonella, six parasitic worms, and many more human pathogens.
- Allergy and asthma risks.
Cockroach debris – old shells, body parts, saliva, and droppings – can trigger asthma attacks in those sensitive to cockroach antigen, proteins found in this cockroach debris.
- Chemical hazards resulting from improper DIY pest management.
Professional cockroach control can minimize these risks – and more effectively reduce populations.
What’s the best way to handle NYC cockroach control?
- Don’t leave food and drinks out.
- Keep all surfaces clear of food and crumbs.
- Immediately clean up after spills.
- Store food and garbage in tightly sealed containers.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes out overnight.
- Control moisture levels and leaks, particularly in the kitchen and bath, where roaches like to congregate.
- Keep inside and outside areas of your home clean of boxes, cardboard, and newspapers, which roaches can both eat and take up residence.
- Cut down on clutter to eliminate shelter and hiding places.
- Seal cracks and crevices around plumbing, electrical, gas lines, around cupboards, baseboards, and more to deny roaches access to your home.
NYC cockroach control problems driving you buggy? Stern can help. Contact us today.
German Cockroaches can be hard to control.
Food prep areas used to be notorious for German cockroach infestation. The cockroaches used to come in from the suppliers, in bags, boxes, hidden under pallets and such, and in these ways, they would travel from one food preparation position to another.
However, through modern inspection and control methods, this type of infestation now only accounts for about 5% of all cockroach problems. Yet cockroaches still remain a problem. So, where are all of the German cockroaches coming from?
Home Made Pests
It has been found that employees are actually carrying cockroaches, their nymphs and eggs, into food processing plants and food preparation sites. Truly, 95% of German cockroach infestation in these areas, is brought in by the employees themselves through personal items.
- Use an outside cleaning service for uniforms. They should never be taken home.
- Personal items should not be taken into locker rooms or break rooms. Personal clothing should never be worn in food areas.
- Regular cleaning should be done in all locker rooms and break rooms
- Training should be given to employees about the risks of bringing cockroaches in
- A strong and proactive cockroach monitoring program should be put in place, particularly in food and vending areas.
For more and detailed information about cockroaches in your food processing areas, contact the Stern Environmental Group. We can offer programs to combat German cockroach infestation, in both prevention and eradication.
Send help now, our office has been inundated by ants!
Tawny crazy ant may sound like a creature from a ’50s horror movie, but they’re all too real. While these insects themselves are not actually crazy, they can drive home and business owners to madness with their opportunistic habits.
Here are some facts about this pest that made its way up to the United States from central Brazil.
- Tawny crazy ants are reddish-brown with a hairless, shiny head. Their colorful name comes from dense patches of yellow hair on their thorax and abdomen.
- A colony may include several nests and several queens. As the queens leave the original nest to form new ones, the result may be a super colony where workers exhibit a strong sense of community, mixing freely between nests and sharing resources.
- The ants are omnivorous, feeding primarily on aphids, mealy bugs and other insects that excrete a sugary liquid known as honeydew. They also eat sweet plants such as overripe fruits as well as caterpillars, spiders, termites and even small animals.
- Their pest status comes from their tendency to infest buildings and greenhouses. Tawny crazy ants are attracted to electricity and sometimes cause equipment failures.
Don’t drive yourself crazy trying to deal with ants or other pests in your NYC business. Contact us for information about our state-of-the-art commercial pest management services that can be scheduled to accommodate your particular needs.