SMACK! SLAP! WHACK! Don’t let mosquitoes ruin another summer evening for your family. When the little blood-suckers are bugging you, try these tips to keep mosquitoes at bay:
- Eliminate standing water where mosquitoes may nest and breed. Particularly check birdbaths, flower pots, garden planters, fido’s water dish, rain barrels and swimming pool or porch furniture covers.
- Make sure outdoor trashcans are covered and sealed.
- Repair any tears or holes in window and door screens to keep mosquitoes from coming inside.
- Dining al fresco? Keep the food covered until you’re ready to eat.
- When outside, avoid wearing dark colors or floral prints as these attract mosquitoes. Loose-fitting clothing, open-toe shoes and flip flops give the little buggers more places to snack on.
- Avoid sweet perfumes and colognes. Mosquitoes normally feed on nectar so avoid smelling like a flower.
- Use an insect repellent that contains DEET. DEET has been proven the most effective deterrent to mosquitoes.
If you’re going to be outdoors where mosquitoes are present, particularly in the evening, dress yourself for battle: wear light-colored clothing, a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, a hat and closed shoes with socks. Spritz a little insect repellent with eau de DEET on your clothing and dab a drop behind each ear. Appropriately attired, you should have a comfortable, mosquito-free evening.