Cockroaches. These ancient pests obviously know how to adapt to their environment since they’ve been around for an estimated 280 million years and continue to be a challenge for commercial pest control services in NYC. With that in mind, here are a few facts about these durable pests.
1. Cockroaches know how to party as they are attracted to beer and alcoholic beverages. Most likely, the sugar and hops tantalize their taste buds.
2. Cockroaches are tough to eliminate for three reasons; they have the ability to be submerged for at least 30 minutes and survive, have a 40-minute time-frame for holding their breath, and survive being headless for at least a week.
3. Three common cockroach species out of over 4,000 inhabiting the planet include the German, American, and brown banded.
4. While not providing food sources for cockroaches may seem like the fastest way to eliminate the pests, that is not the case. A cockroach can survive for at least a month without eating. On the flip side, they cannot survive more than a week without being hydrated.
5. Cockroaches in the U.S. average between 1/2-inch to 2-inches, while South America has the largest roach in the world, which has a 6-inch body and a wingspan that spreads to one-foot wide.
If you’re experiencing a cockroach infestation, contact Stern Environmental. Our commercial pest control services in NYC are ready to help.