When describing squirrels, several adjectives come to mind; they’re cute, inquisitive, acrobatic, and entertaining. They’re also interesting and are found in nearly any type of ecosystem on the planet. They can also be destructive, which is when you will need the help of a NJ squirrel removal specialist to keep your home squirrel free.
Facts About Squirrels
1. When it comes to the number of species inhabiting the planet, the figure is a whopping 285 worldwide.
2. They are true survivalists. Each year, they stock up on nuts, acorns, and seeds to get them through harsh winter conditions when food is not plentiful.
3. The smallest species is the pygmy tree squirrel weighing in at half an ounce. On the flip side, the largest are western Africa’s gray marmots of Kazakhstan weighing 20 pounds.
4. Squirrels are environmentalists when it comes to tree planting. An example is a gray squirrel that can create thousands of buried food caches filled with nuts. Not all caches will be found, though, which leads to new saplings sprouting from acorns. Not only that, the acorns may be buried in open places in need of trees.
5. Squirrels like mushrooms and during the winter they will hang the fungi in tree branches to dry. This preserves the mushrooms for winter dining.
If you need help with invading squirrel populations, our NJ squirrel removal specialists at Stern provide humane removal services.