Memorial Day heralds the official start of the backyard barbecue season. With longer days and warmer temperatures, families are spending more time outdoors. Don’t let insects and other pests put a damper on your outdoor fun.
“The backyard picnic becomes a battleground of stinging, biting, and swatting between guests and unwanted mosquitoes, flies, ants and spiders,” said Cindy Mannes, vice president of public affairs for the National Pest Management Association. “Summer pests are not only annoying, but also threaten our health and property.”
Don’t let summer pests ruin your barbecue, force you out of the pool, or send the kids screaming from the backyard. Take back your yard, enjoy your weekends and protect yourself from summer pests by following these suggestions from NPMA’s pest control experts:
- Eliminate standing water and other sources of moisture in or around the home.
- Keep tree branches and other plants cut back from the house.
- Make sure that there are no cracks or small openings around the house.
- Make sure that firewood and building materials are not stored next to the home.
- Move food indoors or under screened tents during outdoor gatherings.
- Check yourself and your pets regularly for ticks.
The NPMA recommends using an integrated pest management approach to maintain a comfortable and safe indoor and outdoor environment for your family this summer and all year round. Contact the pest control and pest management experts at Stern Environmental Group for more tips on keeping your family and home safe from unwanted pests. Visit our website to learn more about our services and the safe and effective products we use to protect you and your family. You’ll sleep well tonight when you get “Stern” with your pests.