No matter what the season may be people are traveling hither and yon for business and for pleasure. Whether it’s jetting across the pond to Europe or getting away for the weekend out of town, people are mobile. So are bed bugs.
That’s right. These tiny bloodsuckers are world travelers via luggage, totes, and your clothes, especially during the peak seasons.
Tips for Bed Bug Prevention When Traveling
– Secure luggage upon arrival at your accommodations by placing the luggage in the shower or bathtub. The reason; bed bugs won’t be hiding in those two places. They will be hiding in the closet, carpet, furniture, and mattress.
– Pack a flashlight so you can check inside drawers, behind pictures, and around sofa or chair cushions.
– Inspect the bed down to the bare bones. Remove the linens and the mattress cover and check for signs or even bugs.
– If there’s a luggage rack, check around the straps carefully for bed bug activity and/or eggs.
– At home, unpack luggage outside. Take all machine washable clothing items immediately to the washer. Dry on high heat. For items that cannot be machine washed, place them in the dryer on high heat for approximately 20 minutes.
At Stern, our NJ pest control technicians are experts at bed bug detection and treatment. If you’ve brought home some wayward travelers, one of our NJ pest control specialists will come out for an in-depth inspection.