A sad and tragic situation occurred in 2017 involving heat treatment to eliminate bed bugs that resulted in the death of an 82-year-old woman.
Heat Treatments and Safety
According to a lawsuit filed by the family of Elizabeth Ashbaugh, the residence she and her husband shared at a senior living community had undergone bed bug treatment.
The home had been processed using a heat treatment that raised the temperature inside the home to 139 degrees. The treatment used a heat application only; no chemicals were involved. Upon returning home, the Ashbaughs entered and were immediately affected by the high heat and began experiencing a loss of consciousness. Both were rushed to the hospital where Mrs. Ashbaugh passed away due to hypothermia.
The family has filed a wrongful death lawsuit naming both the Certified Termite and Pest Control company and the Laure Point Senior Apartments for negligence. It was also noted that neither Mr. or Mrs. Ashbaugh had received safety instructions from anyone letting them know under what conditions it would safe to return to their apartment.
A NJ bed bug control specialist is just a call away at Stern Environmental. Our experienced NJ bed bug control technicians are experts in the proper handling of heat control processes, as well as chemical treatments, and the applicable safety measures. For a free inspection, contact Stern to find out what tiny insects might be lurking in your home.