Surrounded by wasps in your yard? Don’t panic. There are ways to safeguard yourself and reduce the severity of a wasp attack. Learn the do’s and don’ts of dealing with wasps from the NJ pest control experts at Stern Environmental.
What to Do If You’re Approached/Attacked by Wasps
– When approached by a wasp, keep calm and move slowly away.
– If you have to escape, leave in a straight line, be as quiet as possible, and try not to wave your arms.
– Do the best you can to protect your head and face. These areas are a frequent target of wasps.
What NOT to Do
When attacked by wasps, NEVER:
– Swat wasps or swing your arms, which makes wasps more aggressive.
– “Play dead” (wasps will just keep stinging).
– Use water for shelter (wasps will simply attack when you reemerge).
Ways to Reduce the Likelihood of Wasp Attack
– Keep your yard neat and clean.
– Keep food and drinks carefully contained/covered, especially sugary drinks.
– Wash your hands (and your kids’) free of sugars before going outside.
– Check for wasp activity before gardening, especially around fruit and sweet-smelling flowers, where wasps frequent.
– Wear closed-toed shoes.
– Avoid wearing bright clothes and strong scents.
– Never approach or attempt to remove a wasp nest yourself.
Don’t get carried away. Deal with wasps quickly, avoiding large infestations and dangerous situations. Contact the NJ pest control pros at Stern Environmental today.