It’s one of the simple pleasures in life. Whether dripping down from a hot fudge sundae or melting into a glorious goo in your mouth, for many people, chocolate is a delightful treat in their lives.
You might be shocked to hear that your favorite sinful treat has a few additives that you did not know about. Worse yet, those additives, despite being considered “safe” are making some people sick!
Insects are in abundance throughout the world. Without a doubt we have all consumed pounds of them during our lifetime, without even knowing it.
ABC News reported on March 26, 2012 that people who are allergic to chocolate may actually be allergic to something else entirely…cockroaches!
According to their report, the Food and Drug Administration allows for up to 60 insect pieces per 100 grams of chocolate to be present before it is rejected for consumption. On average, there are eight…yes, eight insect parts that can be found in one single chocolate bar that is produced in the United States. These “parts” are considered to be safe for consumption. If you think you can just stop eating chocolate to avoid eating bugs, you would be mistaken. “Other foods like peanut butter, macaroni, fruit, cheese, popcorn, and wheat also contain this material.” You may read the article here.
What has been revealed is that these trace amounts of insect parts can adversely affect people who suffer from asthma and allergies. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, the diagnosis of asthma has been on a steady increase in the United States for the past 30 years. Cockroach waste has been proven to trigger acute asthma attacks, especially in children. Studies have shown that “from 23 percent to 60 percent of urban residents with asthma are sensitive to the cockroach allergen.”
So the question remains…will you still eat chocolate? Despite the insect parts, I know I won’t be able to give up such a decadent treat!