• Always keep your luggage zipped shut. For added protection, consider using the BugZip Luggage Bags and Zippered Hotel Drawer Liners Bags when you travel. You’ll have the added peace-of-mind knowing that you have done all you can to avoid bringing bed bugs home from your vacation if you properly secure your luggage or seal your belongings in these zippered encasements when you use a hotel/motel dresser.
• What you do upon your arrival home could make the difference between having a bed bug infestation and not having a bed bug infestation in your home. NYC pest control experts recommend that all luggage be emptied outside of the home. Bed bugs cannot stand the heat so all clothing should be placed directly into the washing machine (clean or dirty) and washed on the hottest temperature setting. All clothing should then run through the dryer on the hottest temperature setting to kill any hitchhiking bed bugs or their eggs.
• Luggage should be carefully vacuumed (inside and out), paying particular attention to the zippered areas and folds in the luggage.
• In locations known to have hot temperatures, placing the luggage in a sealed trash bag and placing it in the sun will help kill any bed bugs that could have been missed during vacuuming.
• Store the luggage in a sealed trash bag in the garage.
Despite your best efforts, you still may be unlucky enough to bring bed bugs home with you this summer. Bed bugs are not a do-it-yourself type of pest that can be handled with a bug bomb or other type of store bought chemical. Bed bug treatments require a trained professional with specialized equipment and knowledge of eradication procedures. For expert bed bug extermination service in Secaucus, New Jersey, the greater New York City Metro areas, and Connecticut regions, contact Stern Environmental Group. Our trained technicians will offer the best alternatives for fast bed bug eradication.