Advice To Recognize When Bee/Wasp Stings Are Life Threatening

NJ pest control experts report that a high number of people should likely be carrying around a self-injectable epinephrine pen because of the potential for allergic reaction sustained from bee, wasp, or hornet venom.  For many people who have never been stung, the traumatic results of being stung always result in shock and dismay.

Thousands of Americans are transported to hospitals from coast to coast each year with serious allergic reactions to pests that sting.  Of those, at least 40 will die from anaphylaxis.

According to the Observer on April 24, 2012, Dr. Joseph Petrusek of La Grande, stated that encountering any of the 11 symptoms of a systemic reaction after a bee, hornet or wasp sting will put you at risk for a life threatening reaction.  The risks include:

“• hives.

• a metallic taste or tingling in the mouth

• swelling of the tongue, lips or throat

• difficulty breathing or swallowing

• abdominal cramps

• vomiting or diarrhea

• a rash or itchy skin

• coughing or wheezing

• loss of consciousness

• increased heart rate

• dizziness or sudden weakness”

According to reports, anyone who has had any of these reactions to a stinging pest is susceptible to experiencing some sort of life threatening reaction if they are stung by another bee, wasp, or hornet.  Upon testing by a physician, patients who are allergic to the venom will be prescribed a self-injectable epinephrine pen which will lessen the chance of the allergic reaction being life threatening.

Having bees, hornets or wasps eliminated by a NJ pest control expert will help keep you and your family safe.