Insects are universal and have been part of the planet’s ecosystem since time began. They each have their roll in the environment but when they encroach into our homes, that’s a different matter.
In our part of the world, some of the best-known insects with distinctive personalities and reputations include cockroaches, bedbugs, mosquitoes, bees, ants, spiders, and a long list of “other” insects.
While we may know some of the basic characteristics of insects residing in our area, there are quite a few with fun and interesting facts surrounding some of these same creepy crawlies.
- Adult bedbugs can go for an entire year without feeding
- Ants live in colonies that can consist of a half million residents
- Blondes have more fun especially with mosquitoes who prefer them to brunettes
- Every spider web is unique with no two ever the same
- Black widow venom packs more of a punch than that of a rattlesnake
- Queen ants can live 15 years
- Honeybees are responsible for more deaths worldwide than poisonous snake bites
- Citronella hurts a mosquitoes feet
- Ants do not need to sleep
- Your bed may hold billions of dust mites
- Get out of the way of flying dragonflies that can hit speeds of 50 to 60 mph
Contact our staff at Stern at your earliest convenience by phone, email, or the online form on our website and let us take care of your pest problems, ASAP.