A recent study has moved New York City up a notch, from 5th place to 4th, on the list of cities with the worst mosquito problems in America. Keeping NJ & NYC pest control professionals busy, the pests remain an issue across the US, becoming increasingly troublesome as temperatures rise.
Not the Only Victim
Based on the number of residences and businesses seeking mosquito treatment between April 2016 and March 2017, the majority of cities with high-call-ins were in the southeastern US. Atlanta ranked at the top for the fourth year in a row, followed by DC, Chicago, NYC, and Ft. Lauderdale.
A Major Health Concern
A vector for the transmission of various diseases, including chikungunya, encephalitis-inducing West Nile, and most recently Zika, taking precautions in your yard, while outdoors, and during travel is strongly advisable.
Eliminate Breeding Grounds
- Monitor and empty all standing water – mosquitoes can breed in just an inch.
- Change bird baths and fountains weekly, and keep pools properly treated.
- Keep gutters clean.
- Trim shrubbery and trees.
- Repair (and use) window screens.
- Address gaps around windows and doors.
- Wear loose, long-sleeved shirts and pants. (Mosquitoes can bite through tight clothing.)
- Use EPA-approved mosquito repellants containing DEET, picaridin, or IR3535.
Wish mosquitoes would buzz off? Get the relief you need with the help of the NJ & NYC Pest Control experts at Stern Environmental. Contact us today.